A shaking incubator is a kind of commonly used laboratory equipment, which belongs to biochemical instruments. It is a special cultivation device that provides temperature, humidity, light, carbon dioxide concentration, oscillation frequency, amplitude, and other conditions for the cultivation and breeding of molds and microorganisms.
It is widely used in life sciences, immunology, genetics, agricultural sciences, biomedicine, the food industry, biochemical reactions, and enzyme and tissue research. The shaking incubator is mainly composed of a motor, fan, shaking plate, controller, heating tube, temperature sensor, compressor, and so on. The shaking incubator can be divided into a benchtop shaking incubator, a vertical shaking incubator, and a horizontal shaking incubator. Today, this article mainly focuses on how to maintain and clean a shaking incubator.
How to Maintain a Shaking Incubator?
1. The correct use and maintenance of the shaking incubator (shaker) will keep it in good working condition and prolong the service life of the instrument.
2. During the continuous operation of the shaking incubator, regular inspections should be carried out every three months. Check the fuses, control components, and fastening screws, and check whether water droplets, dirt, etc. fall on the motor and control components.
3. The bearings of the transmission part of the shaking incubator have been filled with an appropriate amount of grease before leaving the shaking incubator factory. During the continuous operation of the instrument, grease should be filled every six months. The amount occupies about 1/3 of the bearing space.
4. The shaking incubator is used regularly, and natural wear and tear is a normal phenomenon. If it is found that the motor and compressor have abnormal noise or other common problems of the sharing incubator, you can contact the shaking incubator manufacturer to get the right and professional advice.
5. The compressor of the shaking incubator should avoid continuous starting.
How to Clean a Shaking Incubator?
1. Clean the surface of the shaking incubator
Clean the cell shaker with detergent. If it is necessary, you should wash with a disinfectant such as quaternary ammonium. Besides, clean the surface of the cell shaker with a damp cloth and mild detergent, and then dry it with a clean cloth. Use a soft cleaning cloth and mild detergent solution to clean the inside and outside of the glass door. At the same time, confirm that no foreign matter remains.
2. Clean inside the box of the shaking incubator
Do not use pressurized water spray for cleaning. It is to avoid the risk of permanent damage by flushing the liquid on the bottom drive system of the rocker or the electrical system behind the box. To drain after cleaning and flushing, insert the hose into a properly-sized waste bottle to drain.
3. Clean the area around the shaking incubator
The area around the cell shaker should be freed for heat dissipation of the equipment. The area around the cell shaker should be cleaned regularly, and the floor and surrounding areas should be cleaned to ensure that the surrounding environment is free of pollution. Routine cleaning is often overlooked by researchers. A schedule should be established for the frequency of cleaning procedures. Cleaning logs should be kept detailed. If you use aggressive floor cleaners to clean the laboratory, you should avoid spills on the equipment or wipe it up immediately.
4. Clean the shaker of the shaking incubator
If the shaker flask is broken or the medium leaks, the shaker plate should be pulled and removed first to facilitate the removal of contaminated culture and shaker plate parts. If you encounter broken glass fragments, wear protective gloves and remove them carefully. Then, you can clean it with a cloth soaked in disinfectant. Besides, you always use a soft cloth and mild detergent for the rocker and its mounted parts. Please use disinfectant (such as quaternary ammonium salt) for disinfection.